Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl Weekend in Destin

After the crazy weather we had last week, things started to get back to normal in Destin Thursday afternoon. The sun came back out and the temps went up to almost fifty degrees. All the ice melted and all bridges opened back up. Thursday night Sunshine Cindy and I decided to get out for a while. We stopped in at Landshark Pizza to hang out. Paige and Jason were working. B came in and joined us at the bar. B was in rare form. We were all talking about driving on the ice and that lead to stories about growing up and some of the stupid things we did on the roads. Some of B’s stories were hilarious. It was a nice time having some good food, cold drinks and good conversation.


Friday was my off day. I ran some errands in the morning. The sun was out and the temps were getting into the mid 60’s. I even washed Badass. She was caked in sand and mud from the trips over the slushy bridges on Thursday. In the afternoon I went down to the harbor. I walked by the new Margaritaville. Tons of folks were busy everywhere working on the place. Signs are up all over the building now. It still looks like a lot of work needs to be done before they can open but they are getting closer.

Destin Margaritaville

I made a stop at Crab Island Cantina. Mike was working but the place was mostly empty. I left there and walked all the way down the harbor to the Destin Yacht Club. I stumbled upon a place I had heard about but didn’t know where it was. I had heard about someplace that sold sushi and this was it. It appears to be an open air place right next to the Yacht Club building. It was all tented up and closed but the setting was picturesque. Big oaks give it shade and it was right on the harbor. A sign said they have music and sushi. We will check it out when it gets going.

Destin Margaritaville

I walked back up the harbor and made a stop at The Crust Pizzeria.  I had a few beers. Charley was not working so I didn’t get a chance to talk to him. This place is so relaxing. I enjoy going there. I made one more stop before heading home. Malibu Jacks is open again with new people running the place. It is now going to have Puerto Rican food. I am sorry to say the $2 beers are gone. I talked for a good while to Tracy. He was running the place. It looks authentic. Tracy’s wife is Puerto Rican and part of the family that owns it. They have some good ideas. I hope they make it. From there I headed home for a quiet evening at home with Sunshine Cindy.

The "Fin" is about to begin in Destin

On Saturday Sunshine Cindy and the girls went back out wedding dress shopping. This was a successful mission as she ordered a dress. While they were gone, Kelly and I went out for a few beers. We made our first stop at Landshark. Sue and Becca were working. Becca is also going to be working at Margaritaville. She starts her training next week. Brian came in. He talked to Kelly and I while watching the University of Minnesota play basketball. A couple of snowbird ladies came in and sat at the bar. Brian was talking to them but every time something happened at the game, he screamed in these old ladies ears. It was funny. I am sure they thought he was crazy.

They do have a lot of signs!

With no adult supervision for Kelly and I, we then headed to Island Wings. We had the top down on Badass as we were back to normal Destin weather. We hung out there for a while then met the girls back at the house. That evening we had a dinner party at Julies. A ton of food was there as everyone had a fun time.

Sago Sports Bar's Crab Island Mambo Super Bowl party

Sunday was the Super Bowl. We had a Crab Island Mambo (http://www.crabislandmambo.com/) party at Sago Sports Bar to watch the game. We ended up with about 18 people. They had set us up with tables right in front of the 80 inch TV’s to watch the game. The game was a dud but we still had a fun time. Sunshine Cindy was disappointed. Before the season we had a party where people drew teams out of a hat for $10. Whoever drew the Super Bowl winner won the pot. Sunshine Cindy had Denver. Needless to say she was not happy!

Nothing on tap for the next few days. Enjoy your week and I will see ya on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment