Monday, May 6, 2013

Cold and wet weekend in Destin

Okay, Mother Nature is playing a cruel joke on us. Friday it rained on and off all day and night. Saturday was cold and windy. Sunday was colder and windier. This morning it was 44 degrees in Niceville. Come on, it’s May and we should be hot and humid by now. But it did not stop us from getting out and about.

Thursday I stopped at KC’s Sandbar on the way home to finalize their sponsorship plans for the backyard party. Mike showed me the new bar they are getting ready to open. It is going to be a craft beer and craft liquor type of place. As we stepped outside the skies opened up. We made a dash to the sandbar but with the wind blowing I still got a little wet. I talked to a couple of girls who are with the Hash House Harriers. That’s the drinking club with a running problem. Sounds like a fun group.

Yes, it's that cold!!!!

Friday we stayed home. It was wet and windy. By the time the Cox repairmen left it was getting late so we stayed in to get some computer work done.

Saturday morning it 54 degrees in Destin. But at least the sun was coming out. We headed to the new Fuds on the Island for a Gumbo cook-off to benefit Relay for Life. It was held in the new raw bar building they built right on the water. This will be a fun place this summer as you can boat right up to it. Sunny Jim White came to town to play music for the event. Sunny Jim is one of the original Trop Rockers and an all around good guy. A decent crowd turned out. Peter the GM of Fuds was giving Sunshine Cindy a hard time all day. She knows Peter from way back.

Sunny Jim at the new Fuds

When the party was over a group of us headed to Millers Ale House for some food. Julie, Wayne, Loujean, Jan, Sunshine Cindy and I all headed over. We had Christopher wait on us. We had him cracking up. It was a nice end to the evening.

Sunday started out nice. I backed the car out and had the top down. About 30 minutes later I looked out and it was raining. Where did this come from? I raced out to put the top up before Badass got too wet. Plus the wind had picked up. I mean really picked up like 25-35 MPH gusts. In the afternoon I headed to Landshark Pizza to get plans going to have Jan Patton play there on Sunday May 26th. They are going to do a crawfish boil and Jan will be playing from 1-5 or so. It will be fun so mark your calendars.

No whining Julie!

Sunshine Cindy stayed home to get some stuff done around the house. At Landshark James and Vickie were there. We talked and watched some hockey. I decided to head down to the harbor to check out the Cinco de Mayo celebration. With the wind blowing as hard as it was, I was not sure what I would find. But the harbor was packed.

I first stopped at the Shark Shack. Kerby was there. Motorcycle Pat walked by and we talked for a while. I headed towards Crab Island Cantina. I ran into Hawaiian Ice Steve. While talking to him Kenny and Cat came by. They were walking their puppy and getting a lot of attention. I continued to the Cantina. The place was packed. Carlos was running a piƱata contest for the kids. Al the sax man was on the main stage. I ran into Scott and Paul. They were hanging out. I had someone grab me from behind. It was Trish. She and Julie were volunteering and came by to get something to eat.

Fun on the harbor

Time to move on again. I went to the Boathouse. Jager was working as was Courtney. A decent crowd was there to listen to Kelly Byrd play. I talked to some tourist from NOLA. A boat captain came by and we also talked. It was a good vibe there. From there I went to Lucky’s Rotten Apple. Matt and Mindy were playing and they were doing a crawfish boil. I stayed there for a while. Rose and Kimberly were working the bar. There was a good crowd there too. Finally I made a last stop at Rotolo’s. Berg was there but no one was at the bar. I stayed for short while and headed home to watch some more hockey!

We should warm back up to about normal this week. Finally!!! Have a great week. See ya Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment