Monday, June 23, 2014

Tourist Season in Destin

It is officially tourist season in Destin. All the locals I have talked to are remarking about how crazy the traffic is already and we have just got started. A case in point was last Thursday evening. I got home a little early due to an appointment with my chiropractor. I knew Sunshine Cindy was really down about Precious so I wanted to get her out of the house for a while. We decided to stop in at Chips (the old Sago) at the Palms condo which is literally right across the street from us. What would normally take less than a minute to drive ended up being 10 minutes.

Landshark Pizza of Destin

What made matters worse was when we got there the place was closed for a private party. Now we were back on the road and went to Landshark Pizza. When we finally got there Sunshine Cindy was able to relax and forget about Precious for a while. There was a good crowd there with a mix of locals and tourist. I had a pizza. They have some of the best in town and I had missed it. I think it helped Sunshine Cindy getting out for a while.

Friday started with Sunshine Cindy having to go to the doctor. She has an infection under her eye. She got some medicine and was told to take it easy for a few days. Meanwhile I was out running some errands during the day. First stop was a haircut. I go to a place in Destin that has been around for over 25 years. It’s a real locals place. Then I took a load of our Crab Island Mambo t-shirts down to Harbor Gifts. They have been selling some so we got them some additional inventory.

Kenny and Jan at Crab Island Cantina

Then Friday afternoon I was back on the harbor at Crab Island Cantina for our “Embrace the Chaos! Trop Rock Music Series” show. Jan Patton started at 5 pm and did a great show. We had a big group of Mambo’ians show up along with many tourist who were there. The music and fun went till well after 9 pm. We always have fun at Crab Island Cantina.

Saturday was a laid back kind of day. I did a lot of Mambo work while Sunshine Cindy mostly took it easy. In the late afternoon I had the itch to get out for a while. Sunshine Cindy told me to go (so she could relax without me bugging her…lol) so I went to Landshark. Brian, Austin and Sue were all working. Tommy and his dad, Capt. Browning were there. I had a chance to talk to Tommy for a while about Chips. He said the restaurant part, The Brick and Spoon will open this week. He hopes they all make it.

Our friends from Illinois joined us too

Ken came in and sat next to me at the bar. He had not heard about Precious. We talked about dogs and how much they mean to people. Glen also came in for a while. It didn’t take long for the place to start to fill up with the evening dinner crowd. People were watching soccer, golf, baseball….all the sports were on. This was about the time I left. Back home Sunshine Cindy was doing better.

Sunday was more of the same. I did more Mambo work while Sunshine Cindy also did some computer work. Wayne asked if we wanted to meet him on the harbor in the afternoon. Once again Sunshine Cindy was not up to it so I met Wayne at Fishheads. As I walked up I saw an old friend Dave. He joined us. Melissa and Becca were working keeping everyone happy. There were several people that rappelled down the tower. A lot of hooting and hollering accompanied each person as they came down. Kyle and his girlfriend stopped and saw us. I have not seen Kyle in a few months. The sun was out and it was hot. We moved on to the Shark Shack for more shade.

Kelly Byrd at The Boathouse

Tom from Harbor Gifts was there talking to Pam. We talked about the shirts I dropped off on Friday. I made a mistake in the count. I guess it took Sandy a while to figure it out. I understand she had a few choice words for me…LOL…  Matt came over and talked to us. He was ready to get off work. Matt was his usual funny self cracking jokes left and right. By now we heard thunder rumbling. The top was down on my car so headed in that direction so I could put it up. We then continued to the Boathouse.

Harbor Gifts

Kelly Byrd was playing. Courtney was behind the bar. Gigi came by to say hello and of course she came bearing jello shots! A lot of folks were coming and going. A co-worker of mine came in. The Boathouse is the place to be on the harbor. But alas, Sunday Funday gave away to the reality of work on Monday. I got home and we watched some TV the rest of the night.

Have a great week. See ya Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment