Monday, January 6, 2014

Bundle up Destin

This weekend was the end of my two weeks off from work. But I made sure I got out and enjoyed my time off. Thursday afternoon I had to take an old TV to our local recycling center in Ft. Walton Beach. While I was on that side of town, I stopped in at Anglers Beachside bar. I used to go there all the time when I lived on the island but I don’t get over there very much now. Red was working behind the bar. It was a warm afternoon and there were some people on the pier. A good group of snowbirds were at the bar too. It was nice seeing Red again. I need to get back there more often.


I drove back to Destin and stopped on the harbor. Even though it was warm, the wind was blowing hard and made it feel colder. I stopped in at Crab Island Cantina. Greg was working but not too many folks were there. I had one beer and headed to Harry T’s where I could sit inside. I have not been to the downstairs bar in a long time. They had a good crowd in there for happy hour. I didn’t know anyone working but I did see Lou the manager. Harry T’s does a good business. They know how to get people in the door.

Harry T's

Off again this time to The Crust Pizzeria. Charley was running around taking care of several tables. He had some tourist at a table behind where I was at who were in town from Texas. They are thinking of moving to Destin. They asked my opinion on the area and of course I had to tell them it’s the best place to live! I had a pizza while I was there. It is great New York style pizza. While there I saw that Alan and Jackie were at Landshark Pizza. So that was my next stop. The place was crowded. I talked to them until they left and then I decided it was time to get home too.

Crust Pizzeria

Friday I worked on Crab Island Mambo stuff until Sunshine Cindy got home. A cold front came into town. There was some ice spotted in Destin too. I had to wear a hoodie when we went out. Ugh! We headed to the Ramada Inn on the island. We met Alan and Jackie, Wayne and Julie there. There is a nice bar in the lobby area. It was a fun time. We ate, watched some football and solved most of the world’s problems and froze when we left as it was about 30 degrees. Oh the horror of it all. LOL

Saturday was all about the NFL playoff games. A big group of us decided to meet up at Landshark Pizza to watch the games. Sunshine Cindy and I got there about halfway through the first game. We pulled tables together and were joined by Julie, Russ, Suzanne, Kenny, Jan and Loujean. Later Gigi, Missy and Barefoot Rikkie came in and sat at the bar. Everyone was having a fun time.

Football party at Landshark Pizza

Jan is a Colts fan and they came back to win their game after being down by 28 points. What game. The second game was the Saints against the Eagles. Loujean and Jan are from PA so they are also Eagles fans. This was a back and forth game but the Saints won it at the end. Another fantastic game. It was a lot of fun eating pizza, wings, cheese curds and having a few beers while watching the games. Stephanie and Jason were working and took good care of us.

Russ and Suzanne

And on Sunday we rested. We thought about going out to see some of the Sunday football games but decided instead to go to Best Buy to get a TV. We had to replace the one I dumped on Thursday. We put the top down on Badass to get the TV into the car and drove home with it down as it was just warm enough to do that. That will be the last time for the top to be down for a while as the temps the next two days will barely reach 40. For those that are below zero it might not sound like much but it is freezing to us! I might have to wear socks! LOL

Have a great week. All the folks fighting the cold and snow…hunker down and stay safe. See ya’ll Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog when I was doing a web search for Destin. We live in Nebraska and I have to tell you that we are very jealous of your 40 degree days!!! Enjoy reading your blog....wish we were down there to enjoy some beers with you and Sunshine Cindy.
    From another Cindy in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete