Monday, November 11, 2013

Blue's Brews and BBQ weekend!

There was a big event on the harbor this weekend and it did NOT rain. That was the first time in a long time we had good weather. I actually started the weekend on Thursday night. I made a stop at Landshark Pizza to relax a little. I had a pizza and some beer. I watched some football watching the crew work. They had a good crowd and even put Renee to work. She was just hanging out but she jumped in to help out when things got hectic. She is a hard worker.

The Saturday event was Blues, Brews and BBQ. It was held in Harborwalk village. Landshark Pizza was entering a smoked pork BBQ sandwich. This is James’s secret recipe. He gave me a bite of the pork as it was still slow cooking. It tasted great.

Friends from Illinois

Friday afternoon I went down to the harbor. I had the new Southern Drawl Band CD that I wanted to give to Carlos at Crab Island Cantina. The weather was nice but the harbor was dead. There were only a few people milling around and they were mostly there setting up for the Saturday event. I found Carlos and he immediately put the CD on to listen to one song in particular. The song is called, “Numbered” and was written by Mike Nash. Mike played it for Carlos the last time he was here. It is a moving song about losing a best friend and living life to the fullest because you don’t know when your number will be up. Carlos loved the song.

When I left the Cantina I walked towards AJ’s. I thought I might get a drink at the Shark Shack but it was closed as were all the other places along the harbor. I headed home instead.

Mike Nash

Friday night was the Parrothead meeting at Harry T’s. Sunshine Cindy and I got back down to the harbor about 6:00. A decent crowd was there. Alan and Jackie were there with Kirsten and Jeff who were down visiting from Illinois. We reminisced about the trip to Key West with all who went. Sunshine Cindy and I left to get something to eat and stopped at Crazy Lobster. Tiff was working and just about to get off. It was 7:30 and there was no one in the place.

We sat and ate. I had my Abita Amber so I was happy. I also had crab cakes with jalapenos on the side. I only had a few jalapenos slices and thought they were being stingy until I remembered how hot their jalapenos are. These were no exception. They were make your eyeballs sweat hot. But I loved them. It just made the beer go down faster. About the time we were ready to leave at 8:45 two more people walked in. It was a slow night for sure.

Landshark Pizza's tent

Sunshine Cindy and I made a stop at The American Legion. A bunch of friends were there for Karaoke. Jimmy and Sandra announced they are moving back to Louisiana in two weeks. They are fixtures at the Legion and will be missed. We stayed for a while then called it night and headed home.

Saturday we went to the harbor about 12:30 pm. We could not get over all the people that were there. The village was packed. It was just the opposite from the night before. We paid for our wrist band and proceeded to taste test from as many of the booths as possible. We really liked the food from Landshark, Sago had great ribs, Harry T’s had BBQ eggrolls, Crab Island Cantina and all the others had great food too. We had some craft beers and were totally enjoying ourselves.

Big crowd at Harry T's

We went to the big stage as we heard there was a Jim Beam station that was giving samples out. We found the station and it was true, free Jim Beam samples of their different types of whiskey’s. We tried a few while listening to a band that was a Jerry Lee Lewis type throw back band. They were really good as was the whiskey. We met some nice people there and saw many friends as they passed by.

When the band finished they gave out the trophy’s to the winning BBQ entries. I am glad to say Landshark won First Place in the People’s Choice award. Congratulations to Brian, Sue and James. It really was good. Crab Island Cantina also took home first place honors in the "Best Seafood BBQ and First Place "Most Creative BBQ" and Second Place "Best Traditional BBQ." Way to go Landshark and Crab Island Cantina!!!

Tat's at the Jim Beam tent

A group of us made a stop at Fishheads. Becca was working the bar. I did not know she was working there now. Melissa stopped by and talked to us. It sounds like they are doing well and look forward to a full season next year. There was a big crowd hanging around listening to the music by a couple that I didn’t recognize.

Wayne, Pat, Sunshine Cindy and I made a final stop at the downstairs bar at AJ’s. For some reason I was channeling my inner Eddie Murphy and was cracking up everyone. Thankfully I didn’t lose my Man Card but it was close. LOL It was a perfect ending to a fun day.

Carlos and his two first place trophy's

Sunday we relaxed most of the day. Sunshine Cindy took Precious to the vet but that was about it. I spent most of the day working on the upcoming Crab Island Mambo Mullet Wrapper. It will be ready this weekend. Be sure to look for it.

Have a great week. See ya Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment