Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tour of Destin

Sunshine Cindy and I have not been out much this week as we prepare for our trip to the Keys in a week. Since it has been quiet, I will take you along on my bike ride I took last Sunday. I am not one of those professional pedal pushers but I am more of a Trop Rock Bicyclist with my flip flops and Trop Rock tank top.

Mattie Kelly Arts Center

As I leave my neighborhood I go east on Commons drive. I pass the Mattie Kelly Arts complex and turn up by Home Depot to cross Hwy. 98. Now we are heading east on the sidewalk (I don’t ride on the highway, I don’t want to get killed!) in front of Henderson Beach park. I turn toward the beach at the bowling alley and reach Scenic 98 right alongside the beach. I ride along the beach all the way to the Crab Trap. I pull over here to enjoy the beach views before heading back.

On the way back I ride through the Crystal Beach neighborhood. I make a pass through some retail areas including City Market. In this area are several restaurants I want us to try one day. I pass Skent and Dent appliance sales. They sell appliances that might have a dent but can’t be sold as new and they have a great commercial with an old lady saying, “Where’s the dent?”

The Crab Trap on the beach

As I work back I again pass a huge Baptist Church. I think this is the called the Rock and Roll church and a lot of people go there. Now it is back onto the sidewalk heading west. This time I keep going past Ruth Chris Steakhouse all the way to Old 98. I turn up here and I am once again at the beach. There is a beach access here that is popular. We also have the CandyMaker on one corner and on the beach is The Back Porch restaurant. As I head back to the highway I pass the old townhomes that have been demolished to make way for a new condo and the new Hampton Inn that looks like it should open before the end of this year.

After waiting for a while for the light to cross 98, I pedaled up to The Track and cut through their parking lot to get to Airport Road. I went up to Commons drive. I have Morgan’s Sports Complex on my right. No one is playing this morning but there is usually a lot of games going on here. On the left is the dog park. There were quite a few people out with their dogs because it was a nice comfortable morning. I passed by the backside of The Palms condo where Sago Sports Bar is located and I made my way back home.

Sunshine Cindy at Sago with Brian and Bruce

The entire ride was over 11 miles and took me about an hour and twenty minutes. I hope you enjoyed this little ride through my slice of paradise in Destin!

Have a great weekend. See ya Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment