Monday, June 19, 2017

Summer showers

Here in Destin we are definitely into the summertime pattern of 40-50% chance of rain each day. The weathermen might as well just give us the forecast and say this is what it will be like for the next three months. Last week was a perfect example. Monday and Tuesday it poured buckets in Fort Walton Beach both days but nothing came down in Destin. Wednesday more monsoon rains hit Fort Walton and Destin finally got a little rain. Driving into work on Thursday the sun was out but a cloud burst came out of nowhere and soaked me before I could get Badass stopped and the top up.

Anyway, you get the picture. This week we will most likely get more steady rains as the tropical system is supposed to organize and bring a lot of rain to Florida, we just don’t know where yet.

Last week we really took it easy. I am still letting my bum knee heal. It is slowly getting better I am glad to say. I did go to Landshark Pizza on Friday for a few beers and a pizza. Brian was behind the bar. A decent late lunch time crowd was there. My pizza was awesome as usual.

When I left there I stopped at Island Wings. Sunshine Cindy wanted me bring her home a burger. At the bar I got to talking to a guy who just got back from the Middle East as a contractor. He is planning to head back soon. He was a Steelers fan but I didn’t hold that against him! LOL  Then a couple came in and sat at the bar. They were from Charleston and had escaped from their family for a while. I guess they came with a big group and they needed some peace and quiet. They asked what was a good seafood place. Tristen the bartender and I both agreed they should try Harbor Docks. They made reservations so I hoped they enjoyed it.

Friday night Sunshine Cindy and I relaxed at home. And on Saturday I decided I needed to stay in and off my feet as much as possible if I ever want to get my knee better. She went shopping for the better part of the afternoon. In the evening we rented a PPV movie. It was a wild Saturday night in the ol homestead!

Sunday being Father’s Day saw us head to Niceville to spend the day with Sunshine Cindy’s parents. It was a beautiful day. A lot of boats were in Rocky Bayou having a fun day. We had a nice cookout and great day.

On Saturday our friends Mike and Bev, the owners of KC’s Sandbar in downtown Fort Walton Beach hosted congressman Matt Gaetz’s town hall meeting. It was on the news as a big crowd came to hear the congressman. Then on Sunday they hosted a benefit fund raiser for a good friend who is fighting cancer. We are praying hard for a full recovery.

Our Southern Illinois friends Alan and Jackie are back in town. We have not seen them yet but we hope to catch up with them this week before they head back home.

I saw a sign today that a place called “Destin Gumbo Pot” is going to be opening sometime soon. I bet they will be selling gumbo!

This Friday the Parrot Heads will be at Lucky’s Rotten Apple as we party with a purpose. We hope to see all of our friends there.

Have a great week. See ya next Monday!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment