Monday, November 21, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

The 2016 holiday season is opening up in Destin with Thanksgiving this Thursday. I remember back in the mid 1990’s when I first came to Destin you could not find a place open to have Thanksgiving dinner. Before I moved here I remember coming to Destin and the only place open for dinner was a Shoney’s. My how the times have changed. Now there is probably a couple dozen places that do a special Thanksgiving dinner.

This past week we did a lot of things around the house. I was finally able to wash Badass as it was caked with dirt from our trip. Sunshine Cindy got the garage cleaned up and we threw away a lot of junk that was  collecting dust. I took Chaos out for a walk each morning as she loves to get out. We also visited her parents one afternoon. It was a weekend to get caught up on things.

We did go watch football on Sunday at Landshark Pizza. The Browns took another beating but I had a couple strangers commend me on being a true fan. Someone has to do it I guess. LOL  We had a good group there. Ken, Cheryl, Donny, Bob and BT joined us. The Ravens and Cowboys were playing so a spirited rivalry was taking place between Donny and Bob. It was a fun afternoon being with our friends.

BT told us he is planning to release a CD of original music this spring. The title of the CD and title song will be our “What Happens In Destin” song that I helped write. BT has a lot of original songs and parody’s that are a lot of fun. This should be a cool CD when he gets it done.

When we left I decided to head to Crab Island Cantina and see if Alan and Jackie were there. We walked down the hill and saw them at the bar. We surprised them as they didn’t expect to see us. Mike and Bob were working the bar. It was not too busy on the harbor.

As with most of the country, Destin also cooled way down this weekend. It was down in the 40’s which for us is freezing. It can warm back up now!

The original Funky Blues Shack / Graffiti’s restaurant in Destin has closed. They got new owners in the past year or so but I guess they could not recreate the magic the place once had. Not to be confusing but the other Funky Blues Shack that closed in Baytowne and planning to reopen near the Commons in the old Chili building is still going forward. I believe this is owned by the original owners…I think.

The new five star hotel/resort The Henderson opened on Thursday. Sunshine Cindy and I was sitting on our back porch in the evening when a fireworks show started. It was from the grand opening. This is supposed to be the only five star hotel between Jacksonville and New Orleans. It will be interesting to see how it does. 

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday. See ya next Monday!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment