Monday, April 20, 2015

Wet Week in Destin

It seemed to rain on and off all last week in Destin. Most of the time the rain was light but annoying. Sunday morning we did have some strong thunderstorms blow through but by the afternoon the sun was back out.

Last weekend there was a big Parrot Head party in Panama City Beach. “Rendezvous” draws over 500 Parrot Heads to the beach from all over the country. This year was the 10th annual and I have been to everyone of them. Wednesday our friends Barry and Cathy from Lake Charles, LA came to Destin on their way to Rendezvous. Sunshine Cindy and I met them at Margaritaville for drinks then we all walked down to the Boathouse to listen to CJ play some music and to get some food.

With Cathy and Barry

It was a great time hanging with them. We have not seen them since last year at this time. They are a lot of fun to be around. Thursday they headed to Panama City Beach for the party. I went over on Saturday for the day. Sunshine Cindy decided to stay home so Wayne rode over with me. It looked like it would rain all day as big storms were over the Gulf but all we got was a light shower a time or two. I was glad they were able to get all the music in as our friend Jim Asbell and his band the Tropiholics were playing in the afternoon. Jim and the band always puts on a fun show and they did this time too. Jim and the band are playing for us in Put in Bay for Phlocking this coming June. You can get registered here so you can say you partied with the band! http://www.crabislandmambo.com/Crab-Island-Mambo-presents-Phlocking-of-the-Phaithful.html

Jim Asbell's Tropiholics

Sunday Sunshine Cindy and Julie rode back over to Panama City Beach to catch a show by Southern Drawl Band. It didn’t start till 7 pm and with work on Monday I decided not to go. I need my beauty sleep. They had a blast. The place was packed and the band did a great show as usual. I would have loved to go but they didn’t back home till almost 1 am. Mike Nash, the lead singer for Southern Drawl Band will also be performing in Put in Bay at Phlocking. Just another reason to get registered!

I stopped in at Landshark Pizza a couple times this week. Friday night I had wings and on Sunday while Sunshine Cindy was gone I stopped in for some pizza and to watch some hockey. Both the wings and pizza were excellent.

I never cease to get amazed at how buildings go up and get torn down in Destin. Tuesday morning on my way to work I noticed a big pile of rubble where a bank building used to be. It was a two story building across from the Palms condo. I heard there might be a new condo tower going up there. Geeze, that’s just what we need….another tower. I hope that news was wrong.

The construction on LuLu’s is progressing. They held a job fair last week to fill about 300 positions. I don’t know where the help will come from as just about every store and restaurant in town has help wanted signs out. We are looking forward to LuLu’s opening. We enjoy her Gulf Shores location and we know the Destin place will be just as good. It should open sometime in the summer.

This weekend is a unique event for Destin. It’s called Bulls at the Beach and is a professional bull riding event held right on the beach. This should be interesting. I am not sure if we will go but it does seem like a unique event. It will be at the Boardwalk on the Island.

Okay, have a great week. See ya Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment