Monday, February 11, 2013

Busy weekend in Destin

What a weekend in Destin. There is a lot to cover so here we go! Friday was the “All Sports” banquet. This is a local awards fundraiser and this year they out did themselves. They give the “Danny Wuerffel” trophy to Matt Barkley from Southern Cal. But the highlight of the night was Deon Sanders as the keynote speaker. Primetime was a dynamic speaker who talked about following your dreams while interspersing antidotes from his playing days in the NFL. Also on the stage was coach Bobby Bowden and coach Mickey Andrews. Pretty cool.

Before the banquet was a VIP party at Harry T’s that I got to attend. At the party I was across the bar from Peter Boz, the developer of Harborwalk Village. I could hear him talking to a guy about Margaritaville. I eavesdropped a little and think I heard him say they (Buffett) are going to put over a million dollars into renovating the building. I only wish I knew when it was going to start!

Parrotheads getting ready to walk last Saturday

Also at Harry T’s on Friday night the Parrotheads had their monthly meeting. I understand they packed the upstairs area. I stopped in on my way home and it was still packed with young folks dancing to the music of Flash Flood. What a night for Harry T’s.

Saturday was the Mardi Gras parade on the harbor. I got down there about 11 am. I went to the Crazy Lobster to get a burger as I knew it was going to be a long day. Jesse was behind the bar and joked that he was still drunk from the night before. He also told me how he kinda met Deon Sanders too. 5:30 am he was in a Waffle House on the Island when his friend said Deon was sitting behind Jesse. He didn’t believe him and started to rag on Deon a little about his college days. When he turned around he realized it was Deon. He said Deon was laughing about his comments. Either Deon had a late night or an early flight. I am betting on the early flight.

Jim and Betty carried the sign

Wayne joined me and we headed to the parade staging area. The ECPHC was marching and we were joining them. We stopped and talked to Steve at the Hawaiian Ice booth. It was his first day open for the season and he had made his first sales already. He was happy.

Our staging spot was right in front of AJ’s. For some reason the cops did not close the entrance and cars kept coming down to where we were and then had to back up and get turned around since there was no parking left. As the parade started a car with Ohio plates came down and said they were going to swing around or something but they ended up in the parade. Now that is snowbirds who will have a story to tell the people back home.


The Ohio Snowbirds who ended up in the parade

The parade was a lot of fun. When we ended Jackie spotted me so I joined them at Crab Island Cantina. Dominic and Greg were working the bar and were kept busy with the big crowds. I then went up to Harry T’s. Wayne and Cherie was up there. Other folks joined us and Sunshine Cindy also joined us. We stayed there for a while then headed to the Boathouse. Matt and Kerby were there as well as many other folks. We talked to Gigi the manger about Crab Island Mambo and she even bought us a beer. Cool.

Sunshine Cindy and I finally ended the day at Sago Sports Bar. But the excitement didn’t end. A guy at the bar recognized us. He used to be a parrothead. Dave remembered us and he even attended a few beach clean-ups. While talking to him a lady came in and sat down next to me. One of Dave’s friends started talking to her but she seemed strange. At one point Dave’s friend leaned over and told me this lady was crazy. She said she was the Queen of England’s sister and somehow also related to the late Steve Jobs. Okie Dokie then.


Fun at The Boathouse

It gets better. The bar had a big bowl of boiled shrimp they were passing around. When the bowl got to her she started to eat the entire bowl dumping the shells back into the bowl. She must have made some comment too and finally Stephanie the bartender told her she was going to have to leave. This lady threw the bowl of shrimp at Steph which got her immediately thrown out. Good thing they got Steph calmed down as I think she was going to come across the bar after this lady. What a day!

After all the activity on Friday night and Saturday, we decided to take it easy on Sunday. Sunshine Cindy and I puttered around the house and I spent a good part of the day working on the Crab Island Mambo Mullet Wrapper. It was nice to relax and not have to go anywhere.

This week is Fat Tuesday. Enjoy the celebration. See ya Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment