Monday, June 4, 2018

“The Season” has started in Destin

The next two months will be traffic, people, hot and humid weather, thunderstorms, tourist…in short it is the summer season in Destin!

It began this past weekend. The normal Saturday influx of tourist had traffic on the Mid-Bay bridge connector backed up to Hwy 20. It was much worse in Ft. Walton Beach because of the Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival. It was gridlock trying to get over the Brooks Bridge. I’m sure folks that were trying to get to their condo on Okaloosa Island were very frustrated. But like I always say, most of these tourist are from towns like Atlanta where a little traffic is a normal everyday occurrence.

I can almost hear BT Turner singing, “What Happens in Destin Leaves on Saturday!”

Sunshine Cindy and I spent the entire weekend finishing up projects around the outside of the house. Temps were around 90 each day with heat index over 100 degrees. We are so glad we have the pool to jump in and we did many times to cool off.

The only time I got out was on Friday when I stopped in at Landshark Pizza to get a pizza. Cindy decided to stay home and relax. Paige was working the bar. Right after I sat down Tom came in and joined me. I have not seen Tom since he bought out Melissa to become the sole owner of Fishheads. Tom has a great sense of humor. He had Paige and I cracking up. My pizza was fantastic as always. I have not had a Landshark Pizza since we got back from Costa Rica so I was having withdrawals. LOL

Other than that, I cranked up the grill on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We were able to wind down after working in the heat and humidity. BTW…The yard and decorations are all looking awesome.

The big news in Destin this past week was the start of Red Snapper season on Friday. Nothing fills up the charter boats with anglers like Red Snapper season. Paige said it looked like every boat in the fleet was gone on Friday. Destin has the largest charter fleet in the state so that is a lot of boats out fishing. I have seen some pictures and there are some huge fish coming in. Red Snapper is one of the best eating fish and everyone wants to catch them. The season is usually very short so the captains plan as many trips as possible.

Last week I mentioned the Ramada Inn on the island is now called, “The Island.” I heard from our friend Alan that the lobby bar has been expanded during the extensive remodeling they recently completed. Sunshine Cindy and I have spent many an evening at the old lobby bar with Alan and Jackie so we will be interested in seeing how much fun the new bar is.

Here is something off topic but since when did the “Dark Web” become a thing? You can’t watch TV anymore without a commercial imploring us to buy some type of software to make sure your personal info is not on the Dark Web. A year or so ago you never heard of this nebulous place. Now it is something to keep us up at night worrying about bad actors getting ahold of our most sensitive data. Personally I think the Dark Web is just another great marking campaign concocted by some nerd in an office in Silicon Valley. But that could just be my disbelieving self of all things you see. Now if this software was promoted on Facebook I would have to believe it because as you know, everything on Facebook is real!!! LOL

This week we have a Parrot Head meeting at Landshark Pizza on Friday evening. Saturday morning is our beach cleanup on the island so we have a full weekend coming up. See ya next Monday!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment