Monday, February 19, 2018

Presidents Day Weekend in Destin

This past Thursday in Destin we started to see an increase in our traffic. Then on Friday it was like a busy spring break week. Cars and tourist were everywhere. It took me a while to connect the dots between the traffic and the holiday weekend. More and more people from Atlanta and NOLA are getting this day off and making it a long weekend in Destin. I’m sure the restaurants and bars loved it.

Sunshine Cindy and I got out a little this weekend. Saturday we had to go into Fort Walton Beach to Fed Ex to pick up a package then we went to her parents’ house to celebrate their anniversary. We had Chaos with us and she loves their big back yard. A couple hours later we headed home and to drop off Chaos so we could go out to eat. We went back to Ciao Italia Bistro. We really like this place. The bartender even remembered us and what we drink. Hell, I didn’t even recognize her and she remembered us AND what we drink. That’s impressive. Oh yeah, the food was fantastic like always.

Sunday we ran some errands to Home Depot and Home Goods. Back home we did some yard work then got ready to go to the harbor. We went to Tailfins. Only the top floor was open but it was a picture perfect day. We were driving with the top down and wearing shorts and tank tops. Spring has sprung in Destin.

Wayne and Tommy joined us. We have not seen either of them in a few weeks so it was good to catch up. We heard all about Wayne’s trip to Belize. He loves going there. Nicole took good care of us. We all decided to go to Hogs Breath for a while. The outside bar filled up fast but we had a table. it was a fun time there too. After a few beers Wayne headed home, Tommy was waiting for a friend to arrive and Sunshine Cindy and I went to Landshark for some dinner. Josh was working the bar. I had my usual awesome pizza. It was a nice end to the weekend.

I have been waging war against fire ants the last week or so. These little suckers are all teeth. But the dam ants took the battle to a new level during our monsoon rains last week. I went out one evening while it was still raining hard to check on the pool. I walked into a couple of deep puddles. After I got back into the house my foot started hurting and I could see welts coming up. It was fire ants that must have been wearing scuba gear or something. Either that or those bastards are real good at holding their breath! I have been hitting each mound all week with fire ant killer. Today I got another mound but while I was sprinkling the stuff on some of the scouts snuck up behind me and get me again. The war continues…

Florida is getting closer to approving a bill that would seek congressional approval to put Florida on year-round daylight savings time. The only problem is the Senate and House bills differ in one wants us to go from Central Time to East Coast Time. No one that I have talked to wants to leave Central Time. Whichever bill has that in it, those folks need to listen to the people. I’m sure it was someone from Miami or Orlando who have no idea about this part of the state who is trying to ram rod this for some reason. We shall see what happens.

Around town Gilligan’s has reopened. They are one of the few places that still closes down for the winter.

Make plans to come to Harborwalk Village this Saturday for the Emerald Coast PHC Chili Cook-off. This is one of our biggest fund raisers of the year. The chili is always awesome and they always have good entertainment too. It starts at noon.  Come help us raise money for The Arc of the Emerald Coast.

Have a great week. See ya next Monday!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment