Monday, December 18, 2017

Almost time for the big guy to come visit

Yep, in one week Santa will be sliding down the palm trees to bring rum and tequila to all the good folks in Destin. Hey, I can dream!

This past week was pretty typical for this time of the year. It was cold then it warmed up and we got some thunderstorms and rain. The town is pretty quiet as most of the snowbirds have not showed up yet and the holiday crowds are not here either. Give it a week and all that will change.

My work has been busy. I had to go in on my off Friday for a while. When I got home Sunshine Cindy and I did some shopping. We went to Harborwalk Village as I needed a new pair of flip flops and a shop there had the ones I wanted. The flip flops are made in Hawaii so I not only shopped locally but bought American Made too!

We wanted to visit a shop we had been to in the Summer that had tons of local stuff but it was closed down and the location was up for rent. There were actually a bunch of empty shops in Harborwalk Village. I can imagine the rent is astronomical down there making it hard to turn a profit. The shops seem to come and go pretty quickly.

Since we were down there we stopped into Harry T’s for a drink. Red was working the bar. I got my traditional tequila sunrise. There were a few folks around the bar. Harry T’s has a great all day happy hour. Susan came in to start her shift while we were there. It was good seeing her and Red.

We decided to go to Ciao Italia for an early dinner. We really like this place. The food is great, the people friendly and it has a nice warm atmosphere. We were stuffed when we left and headed home for the evening.

Saturday was spent visiting with Sunshine Cindy’s parents. It was her Dad’s birthday so we all celebrated. When it got dark the lighted boat parade took place. The boats leave Bluewater Bay marina and make a pass in Rocky Bayou right in front of their house. A couple of neighbors came to join us we went to the dock to watch the boats. It was nice as the weather was comfortable.

Chaos was a good girl while we were gone. She didn’t tear apart the Christmas gifts under the tree I’m glad to say. Chaos loves to be outside and she doesn’t mess with stuff in the house anymore. (I hope I didn’t jinx it.)

Sunday Funday saw me watching football at Landshark again. The Browns still lost but it was a good time with our friends. I saw Curtis and also saw Amy as they were watching some of the other games. We only have two more games to get a win. This is like deja vue again from last year. Ugh!

Down on Okaloosa Island at the Boardwalk, The Black Pearl restaurant has closed. It was open for 11 years which is a long time for a restaurant. The Black Pearl was an upscale restaurant in a an area that was not upscale. Kudo’s to them for surviving 11 years. It’s reported a new restaurant is already in the works for that location as it is a prime beachfront location looking out at the Gulf of Mexico.

Have a great week. See ya’ll next Monday for a Christmas day “Living and Playing in Destin” blog!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment