Monday, August 22, 2016

Slow week in Destin.

Now that most of the tourist have returned to Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas and all the other places they come from, things have slowed back down in Destin. The traffic is lighter, you can get into most restaurants and everyone who deals with the tourist crowd is catching their breath.

Sunshine Cindy and I stayed around the house for the most part this week as we are preparing for a trip to Punta Gorda next weekend for a celebration of the life of Jim Morris. Friday evening I did make a run to Landshark Pizza to get a pizza for dinner. Courtney was working the bar. Pops was there having a brew as I walked in. It was slow at first but it got crowded as the dinner crowd started to come in. The pizza was the usual excellent pie Landshark is noted for.

Saturday morning I took a bike ride. I ended up going almost 11 miles as I rode to the beach and around Destin. It was a beautiful morning. The Gulf was smooth as glass. We don’t see that too often. By the Back Porch restaurant folks were preparing for a series of paddle board races. I saw Skip there as he was volunteering. We talked for a few minutes before I continued my ride. It was a good ride.


The rest of Saturday was spent working around the house and running errands for things needed for the work around the house. lol 

Sunday morning I took another bike ride. I got down to the Crab Trap on old 98 and it started to rain. A storm came up from nowhere. I got under a pavilion as it rained hard for a few minutes. When the rain stopped I saw blue sky back the way I was heading so I took off. Well, before I could get to the blue sky the rain came back. I got soaked but as least I was not hot! I ended up doing almost 10 miles on Sunday. It’s good exercise and I enjoy riding.

After I got home and took a shower Sunshine Cindy and I headed to Asiago Skillet for breakfast. This is a new place next to Landshark Pizza that has only been open a few weeks. They have an original location on Okaloosa Island next to Helen Back and I have heard good things about both locations. It was crowded but we were lucky and got a table. A big lined started to form after we got there. The food was great. I had shrimp and grits with a couple eggs on top of it all. The shrimp was fresh from the Gulf and the meal was really good. Sunshine Cindy had their ham and cheese omelet and a pancake. We also had potato cakes and sausage gravy. Everything was excellent. I highly recommend this place if you want breakfast. They are open from midnight to noon each day. We will be back!


Our friend Charley and his wife Brenda who own the Crust Pizzeria have opened a new location. They have taken over and totally remodeled the old Mama Rosa’s Pizza on Lewis Turner Blvd in Fort Walton Beach. This is now their third location around town. The Northwest Florida Daily News did a nice piece on them. You can read it here: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/business/20160818/new-pizzeria-opening-in-fort-walton-beach

The Emerald Coast Poker Run was held this weekend. It seemed like there was not as many boats around town as in previous years. The Parrot Heads manned a couple of the stops with the krewe at Juana’s getting voted the most fun stop. That is not surprising.

I have not done this in a while so let’s take a virtual stroll around the harbor area. We will park at The Crust and say hi to Charley and start with a cold beer to get the stroll off and running. From there we will walk the few steps to AJ’s. Something is always going on at AJ’s. Next we head to Tailfins. If you want a great view go to their open air bar on the third floor. Leaving Tailfins we will pass Dewey Destin’s and Brotula’s. Both place are great for fresh local seafood.

Continuing down the boardwalk we come to The Boathouse Oyster Bar. This is a Destin original dive bar that always has a good crowd. One more stop before we head up the hill is Duck Duck. This is more of a late night place but a good spot for a cold beer on a hot afternoon. Up the hill is The Red Door Saloon. This is another dive bar with great views and always a sea breeze to keep you cool. Go on Sunday’s when they have happy hour AND they do a 2 for 1. You can’t drink this cheap at home!

Back up along Hwy 98 is Landshark Pizza and Asiago Skillet. As you know I highly recommend both places. Across the highway is Bucks BBQ. Stop in here for some of the best BBQ in Destin. I hope you enjoyed this short stroll along the harbor. There are many more places within walking distance where you can go and have a drink and some food too. Keep reading this blog and I will take you on more trips around Destin.

Have a great week. See you next Monday!

Destin Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment